Are you a Mac user who wants to uninstall Steam from your macOS device? Look no further! In this article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to uninstall Steam on macOS. Whether you are looking to free up storage space or simply want to remove the application, we have got you covered. So, let's get started!
Why Uninstall Steam?
Before we delve into the uninstallation process, let's briefly discuss why you might want to remove Steam from your Mac. While Steam is a popular gaming platform with a vast library of games, there could be a few reasons why you might want to uninstall it:
- You no longer play games on your Mac and want to free up storage space.
- You want to switch to another gaming platform or prefer to play games on a different device.
- You are experiencing technical issues with Steam and want to perform a clean reinstall.
Step-by-Step Guide: How to Uninstall Steam on macOS
Follow these simple steps to uninstall Steam from your Mac:
Step 1: Quit Steam and All Related Processes
Before uninstalling Steam, make sure to quit the application and all related processes. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click on the Steam icon in the menu bar and select “Quit Steam”.
- Open the Activity Monitor by searching for it in Spotlight or navigating to “Applications”> “Utilities”> “Activity Monitor”.
- In the Activity Monitor, locate any processes related to Steam (e.g., “Steam Helper”) and click on the “X” button in the upper-left corner to quit them.
Step 2: Delete Steam Application
After quitting Steam and its related processes, it's time to delete the Steam application itself. Here's how you can do it:
- Open Finder by clicking on the Finder icon in the dock.
- In the menu bar, click on “Go” and select “Applications” from the dropdown menu.
- Locate the Steam application in the Applications folder.
- Drag the Steam application to the Trash or right-click on it and select “Move to Trash”.
- Empty the Trash by right-clicking on the Trash icon in the dock and selecting “Empty Trash”. Alternatively, you can press “Command + Shift + Delete” to empty the Trash.
Step 3: Remove Steam Files and Folders
Although deleting the Steam application removes most of the files associated with it, there might still be some leftovers. To ensure a complete uninstallation, you need to remove these files and folders. Follow these steps:
- Open Finder and click on “Go” in the menu bar.
- Hold down the “Option” key on your keyboard to reveal the “Library” option in the dropdown menu.
- Click on “Library” to open the Library folder.
- In the Library folder, locate and delete the following Steam-related files and folders:
- Application Support/Steam
Step 4: Restart Your Mac
After deleting the Steam application and its associated files, it is recommended to restart your Mac. Restarting your device will ensure that any remaining processes or cached files are cleared, providing a clean slate for your Mac.
Congratulations! You have successfully uninstalled Steam from your macOS device. By following the step-by-step guide provided in this article, you were able to remove the Steam application, delete its related files and folders, and restart your Mac for a clean uninstallation. Whether you no longer play games on your Mac or are experiencing technical issues, now you know how to uninstall Steam with ease. If you ever decide to reinstall Steam in the future, simply visit the official Steam website and download the application. Happy gaming!